Unveiled in 2006, the American Gold Buffalo was the first 24-karat gold coin released from the U.S. Mint. Struck at the West Point Mint, these beautiful gold coins showcase our American history in 1 oz of .9999 fine gold. Though marked with a face value of $50, the actual value of these coins is based on the current gold bullion market and production costs. These striking coin images originated from the Buffalo or Indian Head nickel designs minted from 1913-1938. Created by sculptor James Earle Fraser, the obverse of these coins features a Native American portrait that is intended to honor the legacy of our land’s first inhabitants. Anecdotal stories claim the reverse design was modeled after “Black Diamond,” a resident of the New York Central Park Zoo. To many, the power of the American Buffalo embodies the pioneering spirit of the nation’s westward expansion.
- 1 Troy oz .9999 Gold
- Shipped in protective packaging
Shop with confidence knowing when you buy from Pinehurst Coins, you are buying the best. Each coin has been carefully assessed by the Numismatic Guarantee Corporation (NGC) and is certified to be in near-perfect condition. These coins are shipped in their original NGC certification slabs to protect their condition.
- Coins arrive in protective slabs courtesy of the NGC
- Price match guarantee (Click here to see how this works)
- The coin pictured is only a representation of the coin you will receive, not the exact coin (serial numbers will vary)
- If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated customer service team will be happy to assist you M-F from 9 am to 5 pm EST. We are committed to accommodating your needs to the best of our abilities.