In 1986 the U.S. Mint introduced to investors the American Gold Eagle coins with a purity of .9167 percent. The coin’s original obverse features the full-length figure of Lady Liberty complete with flowing hair and holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left, designed by Augustus Saint-Gauden. The reverse of this coin was created by Miley Busiek Frost, who incorporated a male eagle carrying an olive branch while flying above a nest containing hatchlings and their mother, entitled the “Family of Eagles”.
In 2021 United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program designer Jennie Norris created the redesign for the reverse of these coins. This new design is referred to as “Eagle Portrait” and portrays an eagle bust. The American Gold Eagle is offered in 4 sizes, 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz, making it popular amongst collectors seeking to add Gold Eagles to their collections.
- .9167 Gold
- Shipped in protective packaging
Shop with confidence knowing when you buy from Pinehurst Coins, you are buying the best. Each coin has been carefully assessed by the Numismatic Guarantee Corporation (NGC) and is certified to be in near-perfect condition. These coins are shipped in their original NGC certification slabs to protect their condition.
- Coins arrive in protective slabs courtesy of the NGC
- Price match guarantee (Click here to see how this works)
- The coin pictured is only a representation of the coin you will receive, not the exact coin (serial numbers will vary)
- If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our dedicated customer service team will be happy to assist you M-F from 9 am to 5 pm EST. We are committed to accommodating your needs to the best of our abilities.